Laura is a Senior Associate in the Education team and works within the School Support Service specialising in Special Educational Needs and Disability. Laura also advises on a range of Education matters.
Laura qualified as a solicitor in 2005, specialising in Commercial Real Estate and Real Estate Finance before training as a primary school teacher in 2009. Laura taught in both the maintained and independent sector before moving into the Special Educational Needs service for two local authorities in South West London.
Laura is also a School Governor.
- Acting for schools and multi academy trusts in disability discrimination claims
- Advising schools and governing bodies on admissions and exclusions
- Advising a school on an allegation of discrimination on religious grounds
- Advising schools on complaints policies and procedures
- Reviewing and advising a school on their uniform policy
- Advising schools on data protection issues
- Advising a school on a potentially defamatory website article
- Advising schools on safeguarding matters
- Delivering training sessions for schools and local authority staff on SEND legislation and process
- Managing SEND Tribunal appeals across two South West London local authorities
Law Society of England and Wales
June 2019 to date: Associate, Winckworth Sherwood
2016 - 2019: Deputy SEND Service Manager & Tribunals Manager, Achieving for Children (provider of Children’s Services for Kingston and Richmond)
2010 - 2016: Teacher, Royal Borough of Kingston and London Borough of Wandsworth
2008 - 2009: Solicitor, Devonshires
2005 - 2008: Solicitor, McGrigors LLP
2003 - 2005: Trainee Solicitor, DLA Piper
1998 - 2002: Human Resources Officer roles in the private and public sectors