Greg has 20 years’ experience prosecuting and defending high value and complex building defect, building safety, professional indemnity and insurance coverage claims. His clients include housing associations, building owners, developers, contractors and private clients, having previously acted also for a variety of professional liability insurers and their insureds in numerous construction disputes. He has extensive experience of all aspects of dispute resolution, but is particularly focused on conducting High Court litigation in the specialist Technology and Construction Court.
Greg also regularly advises clients on insurance policy coverage issues, including what indemnity policies to source / take out prior to the commencement of building works and projects.
- Acting for housing associations and building owners in a variety of high value / multi-million pound claims against contractors and construction professionals for damages arising as a consequence of building defects and building safety issues. This includes pursuing numerous successful claims for defective and/or combustible external wall and cladding systems and general fire safety issues.
- Acting for housing associations and building owners in a variety of high value / multi-million pound claims against professional liability and building warranty insurers in complex insurance policy coverage disputes.
- Acting for a housing association and building owner in a long running multi million pound building defect and fire safety claim against a contractor and various construction professionals in High Court (TCC) litigation. Despite the entrenched position adopted by each of the Defendants, Greg was able to force a settlement prior to trial equivalent to c. 70% of the total claim value, including interest and costs. This settlement left the Defendants and their Insurers substantially worse off than had they settled the claim prior to the commencement of litigation.
- Acting for a housing association and building owner in a long running multi million pound building defect claim against a building warranty insurer. Despite the equally entrenched position of that Insurer, Greg was able to force a settlement equivalent to c. 85% of the value of the claim, including interest and costs, a matter of weeks before the trial.
- Law Society of England and Wales.
- Society of Construction Law
2022 to present: Legal Director, Winckworth Sherwood
2018 to 2022: Senior Associate, Winckworth Sherwood
2014 to 2018: Associate, DWF LLP
2006 to 2014: Solicitor, Plexus Law
2004 to 2006: Assistant Solicitor, Wilkins Beaumont Suckling
‘Gregory Carter is the go-to person for social housing defects cases (especially fire safety) who fights harder than any other and has a gift for securing great results in difficult construction and related insurance cases’
Legal 500, 2022
‘Greg Carter is excellent. His determination to defend his client’s position is absolute. He works extremely hard and is very conscientious’
Legal 500, 2023
‘Greg Carter is amazingly determined’
Legal 500, 2023