Alex specialises in both contentious and non-contentious construction law, with a focus on non-contentious construction law, and acts for a range of employer and contractor clients in both the public and private sectors including, Registered Providers of Social Housing, house-builders, private developers and charitable trusts.
She has prepared and negotiated various standard form construction contracts (including JCT, NEC and IChemE), performed due diligence on building contracts, and negotiated other forms of contract, such as consultant appointments, collateral warranties, novation agreements, development agreements, performance bonds and parent company guarantees.
- Advising a Registered Provider in respect of the construction documentation for the latest phases of a multi-phase development at Grahame Park
- Assisting with advising a house builder client in connection with joint venture projects with registered providers and institutional investors and negotiating construction management and development management agreements
- Assisting with advising a large public sector client in respect of a £100 million infrastructure project including in respect of the various construction documentation, project insurance arrangements and interface arrangements between the construction contracts and development agreements
- Advising a developer client in respect of the construction aspect of the development of both private and affordable housing including a non-specific procurement arrangements, advice on trade contracts and professional appointments, and different forms of security
- Advising in evolving contentious situations for example advising on when the employer’s right to terminate would arise under the JCT insolvency provisions and similar scenarios
- Acting on behalf of the employer in a claim against a contractor for defective/ negligent design/ workmanship
- Acting for the contractor in an adjudication where satisfactory completion of the works and variations to contract in dispute
- Law Society of England and Wales
- Society of Construction Law
2009 to date: Solicitor, Winckworth Sherwood
2007 to 2009: Trainee, Winckworth Sherwood