Our Parliamentary team has expertise in all areas of Parliamentary law and procedures. It includes two “Roll A” Parliamentary Agents, three other partners with extensive experience of taking Bills through Parliament and two Parliamentary clerks.
Our expertise extends to promoting and opposing Private Bills, Hybrid Bills (we have promoted virtually all the Hybrid Bills in the last 30 years) and Special Procedure Orders, and advising on Public Bills. We are also highly respected for our expertise on the devolved administrations of Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland and on regional devolution and decentralisation, including in particular the promotion of more Private Bills in the Scottish Parliament than any other firm.
We help our clients understand what effects any proposed legislation will have on their business and clarify their position and what their options are. Where it is useful for a client to contribute to a Bill, we guide them through the legislative process and draft amendments to the Bill.
The key areas in which we can help you include:
- Drafting Bills and other legislation and proposing amendments to legislation
- Parliamentary procedure and advising on the standing orders of Parliament
- Appearing before select committees
- Contributing to and influencing the legislative process
- Monitoring Parliamentary proceedings
- Parliamentary briefings and presentations
- Advising on the environmental statements and other documentation required to accompany to accompany private and hybrid legislation
- Drafting petitions against Private or Hybrid Bills and Special Procedure Orders
- Handling petitions against Private and Hybrid Bills and Special Procedure Orders on behalf of the Promoters of legislation
- Statutory instruments (orders, rules and regulations) including Development Consent Orders, Transport and Works Act Orders, and Harbour Orders