About: Ports and Waterways
Our Ports and Waterways team have extensive expertise in advising on a range of marine matters. Our clients include a variety of statutory harbour authorities and port operators, including commercially owned ports, trust ports, local authorities and registered charities throughout the United Kingdom. Our work includes drafting and promoting Harbour Empowerment Orders and Harbour Revision Orders as well as advising on broader commercial issues on matters such as dredging contracts and finance matters.
Areas we can help you with include:
- promotion of Harbour Empowerment Orders and Harbour Revision Orders under the Harbours Act 1964 to authorise the creation and construction of a statutory harbour or to amend the existing harbour limits or powers;
- promotion of Harbour Revision Orders, Transport and Works Act Orders and Development Consent Orders as necessary to authorise port development or commercial development within existing ports;
- strategic advice on the correct consenting procedures to be used for different forms of development;
- the drafting and authorisation of general directions, byelaws and pilotage directions;
- objections to Transport and Works Act Orders and the drafting of detailed protective provisions for the protection of statutory harbour authorities and other statutory undertakers;
- participation in Development Consent Order Examinations on behalf of statutory harbour authorities and other statutory undertakers, including drafting protective provisions and statements of common ground;
- contractual and procurement advice to harbour authorities on commercial agreements such as dredging contracts;
- advising harbour authorities on borrowing powers and loan agreements; and
- Advising on ESG related matters
- Advising a major interested party in relation to the Thanet Extension Offshore Wind Farm DCO application at which the DCO was ultimately refused on the basis of arguments made by the interested parties, in particular in relation to navigation risk.
- Advising a large statutory harbour authority on an extensive Harbour Revision Order to update and modernise its statutory powers.
- A largescale review of the authorising legislation for over 20 statutory harbours operated by a single statutory harbour authority.
- Promoting legislation to authorise major port development on the Humber.