About: Roman Catholic Church
Winckworth Sherwood has been advising the Roman Catholic Church for over two decades and we have built a strong, valued relationship with its Dioceses, Parishes, Schools and Roman Catholic Orders, providing them with a full range of legal services. Our experience and understanding informs the advice we give to the Roman Catholic Church in support of its objectives.
We regularly advise on property development, construction, commercial leases, procurement disputes, employment issues, particularly relating to teaching staff, matters of information and technology law including commercial contracts with suppliers and charity law issues.
In addition we are currently supporting schools in 11 dioceses with Academy conversion. Further details can be found on our dedicated Catholic Diocesan Schools Portal, including diocese specific information on the academy conversion process.
Examples of our work include:
- advising on the establishment of a Diocesan wide multi academy trust
- advising the Diocese of Brentwood, Northampton, Southwark and Westminster on school building programmes (on occasion in conjunction with Academy Conversion) including funding arrangements, development agreements, construction issues, land purchase and sale
- advising both Dioceses and Schools on Academy conversion. To date we have converted over 900 academies, 200 of which are Catholic schools
- advising the Westminster Roman Catholic Diocese in relation to governance disagreement concerning Cardinal Vaughan School
- advising the Catholic Education Service on a range of matters including school building programmes, academies, employment policies and home to school transport
- advising on the transfer of land from a Religious Order to the Diocese
- advising on the issues associated with website development arrangements
- advising charitable and ecclesiastical institutions undertaking a range of residential lease disputes, including complex service charge and judicial review and commercial property work