Tim is Partner in Winckworth Sherwood’s Private Client team, regularly advising on trusts, estates and succession planning (including the many tax issues that arise with the same, along with the problems presented by the loss of mental capacity). In 2016, Tim was named as one of the UK’s top 35 private client lawyers under the age of 35. Tim is described by Legal 500 2018 as having a “deep understanding of the personal and family legal issues. He is charming and discreet with clients but also very knowledgeable and experienced.” Chambers 2019 describe him as “extremely diligent and thorough, taking great care to ensure that every relevant point receives full consideration, while always remaining focused on achieving the client’s goals”. With a diverse client base including individuals, trustees, beneficiaries and executors, his clients are both UK-based and those with connections abroad.
Tim often works alongside professionals in other disciplines such as accountants, investment managers and independent financial advisers.
He has particular expertise in setting up philanthropic and charitable structures.
Tim also advises on contentious probate work, including disputes over wills and trusts, and Inheritance Act claims.
- Advising a wealthy non-UK resident and non-UK domiciliary family with UK succession planning, including advising on the structuring of their UK property portfolio. This involved working alongside domestic and oversea advisors to ensure the planning and advice dovetailed appropriately
- Providing strategic advice in relation to a complex probate where the assets include unlisted company holdings and partnership assets; thereafter working with the family and executors to facilitate an exit from the holdings on terms that secured the family’s long term financial needs
- Advising an executor in respect of concerns held about the on-going administration of an estate in which they were involved. This required a review and analysis of the work undertaken to date and the provision of strategic advice as to how the position might be resolved
- Creating, registering and advising on the administration of a charitable trust for a client that wished to establish his own charitable foundation into which he could donate a significant part of his wealth during his lifetime and in the event of his death. The idea was to involve his children early on in their lives, working as a family to shape the future grant making policy
- Member of the Society of Trust and Estate Practitioners
- Law Society of England & Wales
- Charity Law Association
- Tim also has a masters in Engineering
Tim is a keen skier, cycler and open water swimmer. He has hiked the Haute Route from Chamonix to Zermatt and competed in the 5km Monte Cristo Challenge swimming race in Marseille.
2017 to present: Partner, Winckworth Sherwood
2010 to 2016: Solicitor, Winckworth Sherwood
2008 to 2010: Trainee Solicitor, Winckworth Sherwood