Owen specialises in charity, property, ecclesiastical, employment and education law. He acts for a wide range of charities, particularly in the education, housing and ecclesiastical sectors. He provides strategic, constitutional, employment and property and charity law advice. He has frequent dealings with the Charity Commission and other regulatory bodies.
He is also registrar for the Diocese of Rochester, legal adviser to the Bishop of Rochester and solicitor for St Paul’s Cathedral.
- Advising Registered Providers of Social Housing on non-contentious employment issues including the implications of Schedule 1, compromise agreements, contracts of employment, policies and procedures, discrimination issues and TUPE matters
- Advising national and local charities on the full range of employment issues including those arising on the merging of two or more charities as well as constitutional and governance matters
- Acting for trustees and governing bodies of three schools where development projects have been undertaken involving a total rebuild of the school on a self-financing basis, granting long residential leases to the developer of parts of the site
- Acting for the London Borough of Hackney, the London Borough of Southwark and the London Borough of Lambeth in connection with the provision of general educational legal advice
- Acting for individual governing bodies and commercial providers of educational advice to schools on the full range of legal issues affecting schools in the maintained sector, including employment and charity matters
Law Society of England and Wales
2000 to present: Partner, Winckworth Sherwood
1992 to 2000: Trainee then Solicitor, Winckworth Sherwood
1984 to 1990: Teacher, London Borough of Hounslow
1979 to 1983: Social Services, London Borough of Wandsworth
1977 to 1979: Social Services, London Borough of Hammersmith & Fulham