Louise is a Partner and specialises in employment and partnership law. Louise is a trusted advisor to UK businesses and senior executives advising on all aspects of employment law. She advises across all sectors, with particular focus on the financial, legal, property and retail sectors.
Employment – Senior Executives and Employers
As well as a strong reputation for technical excellence, Louise provides clear strategic and commercial advice and outstanding client service. She is adept at handling complex and difficult issues and matters, including restructuring exercises, grievance and disciplinary procedures, and exit negotiations; achieving excellent results for her clients. She is seen as supportive to her clients; one of the testaments from her clients stated: “I knew immediately I was in good hands and felt comfortable and confident in the case from the start: a huge relief for me amongst all the turmoil I was going through at the time”.
Louise has significant experience in handling complex and high value maternity, sex discrimination and whistleblowing claims. Her experience in advising both employers and senior executives gives her a real insight into handling disputes to the advantage of both employers and senior executives, enabling her to achieve favourable confidential settlements for her clients.
For her employer clients, Louise often works as part of the HR team providing prompt advice on day-to-day HR queries as well as providing strategic and commercial advice on disputes. She has worked for a number of start-ups and multi-national corporates setting up offices in the UK in producing a suite of employment documents for their employees such as service agreements, privacy notices and employee handbooks, and helping them become familiar with UK employment law. Louise is also experienced in providing employment advice to family offices where reputation and confidentiality are paramount.
In relation to subject access requests under the data protection legislation, Louise has made complaints on behalf of senior executives to the Information Commissioner’s Office which have been upheld and required the employer to disclose the relevant information. She is also experienced in advising employers on how to respond to subject access requests and has assisted with putting together information for their response.
Louise advises both partnerships and individual partners in the legal, financial and property sectors. Louise has been referred to in Legal 500 as a key practitioner and is described by sources as “on the ball”. Louise’s advice spans partner exits, forced retirements/expulsions, discrimination and whistleblowing claims as well as advising on individual hires. Her experience in advising both partnerships and individual partners gives her a real insight into handling disputes to the advantage of her client.
Recent Experience – Employers
- Successfully obtaining a “drop hands” settlement for an employer where the individual withdrew their whistleblowing and unfair dismissal claims without any payment from the employer
- Achieving a good resolution for an employer client in a complex sex discrimination and victimisation claim brought by a senior executive who alleged that a large number of individuals at the employer had been perpetrators of the discrimination
- Acting for five parties in a complex sex discrimination claim relating to flexible working and achieving a favourable settlement
- Obtaining a strike out of a race discrimination claim brought by an employee against the owner of the company and a costs order against the employee for bringing the claim
- Providing advice regarding breach of warranty and breach of employee liability information in relation to the transfer of a business where the seller failed to disclose a substantial enhanced redundancy payment leading to the dispute being settled satisfactorily
- Successfully defending claims brought by an employee for sex discrimination, victimisation and unfair dismissal and obtaining a restrictive reporting order in relation to the Tribunal proceedings
Recent Experience – Senior Executives
- Assisting a senior female banker with her grievance against a Bank that she had been paid less than her male peers and negotiating a substantial salary increase for the employee
- Acting for three senior employees in the property, financial and legal sectors in relation to their complex whistleblowing claims and successfully negotiating favourable settlements shortly before their Tribunal hearings commenced
- Assisting a senior female employee with her grievance that she had been subjected to discrimination on her return from maternity leave and achieving a resolution where the employee was transferred to a suitable alternative role and received compensation
- Advising a senior executive of a private equity firm in relation to his sensitive exit negotiations and carefully negotiating an excellent settlement which preserved his shareholdings
- Advising a female managing director in the financial sector regarding her sex discrimination and unfair dismissal claims following a restructure of her team and successfully negotiating excellent departure terms
- Advising managers in the financial services sector regarding their service agreements including bonus entitlements and working alongside Winckworth Sherwood’s commercial and corporate practice to advise on fund manager agreements
Recent Experience – Partnership
- Being involved in a complex arbitration considering the application of repudiatory breach to LLP Agreements
- Advising in relation to a dispute between two partners involving whistle-blowing and bullying allegations
- Advising a number of partners regarding their sensitive departure from their law firms
Law Society of England and Wales
Employment Lawyers’ Association
2018 to present: Partner, Winckworth Sherwood
2010 to 2018: Solicitor, Winckworth Sherwood
2008 to 2010: Solicitor, Dawsons
2006 to 2008: Trainee Solicitor, Dawsons
“On the ball”
Legal 500, 2019
Wednesday 27 May 2020 | Start: 10.00am | Finish: 11.00am
HR Hour: Looking Forward – Workplace reintegration post-lockdown and future proofing
Our next HR Hour will be a webinar looking forward to post-lockdown planning. We will cover topics including: Lifting restrictions[…..]