James is a Senior Associate in Winckworth Sherwood’s Private Client team. His work includes advising private individuals, trustees and executors on a broad range of issues connected with wealth management and preservation, frequently working towards long-term objectives and advising on appropriate structures to pass wealth down generations.
Common features of James’ work include:
- the drafting of Wills
- advising trustees
- administering estates and obtaining Grants of Probate
- advising on issues of mental capacity
- preparing and registering lasting powers of attorney and applying to the Court of Protection
- lifetime tax planning
- advising clients where there are offshore and/or cross border issues
James recently practised in Bermuda where his work included the creation of trust structures, resettling trusts, advising settlors, trustees and protectors on the interpretation and administration of trusts and private trust company structuring.
- Advising landed estates clients on exempt chattels, undertakings and various tax issues.
- Advising clients with global business interests and liaising with advisors in multiple jurisdictions regarding the structuring of the clients’ trusts.
- Advising clients on how best to protect beneficiaries from early inheritances and ensuring flexibility in their wills.
- Applying for grants of probate in estates where there are claims for Agricultural and Business Property Relief and the normal expenditure out of income exemption.
- Applying to the Court of Protection for Deputyship Orders for patients’ property and financial affairs.
- The Society of Trust and Estate Practitioners
- The Law Society of England & Wales
2021 to present : Winckworth Sherwood LLP (Senior Associate)
2020 to 2021 : Conyers Dill & Pearman (Associate)
2011 to 2020: Hunters Law LLP (Associate/Senior Associate)
2008 to 2011 : Farrer & Co LLP (Trainee/Associate)