Darren is based in the Oxford office and has assisted and advised ecclesiastical, educational and charitable bodies on property, education, constitutional, and charity and trusts matters there since 2009.
He also acts for private individuals with other private client work including residential conveyancing, preparation of Wills and Powers of Attorney, applications for Probate and general estate administration.
He is Registrar of the Diocese of Oxford with particular involvement with the Faculty Jurisdiction and other matters relating to churches and churchyards.
- Title investigation and first registration of church land in the Diocese of Oxford, including glebe, corporate property, parsonage, schools and complicated trust land
- Resolution of land disputes (including before the Adjudicator to Land Registry)
- Sale and purchase of trust property/charity land, including sale by tender/auction, development agreements and the operation of the Charities Act 2011
- Freehold and leasehold conveyancing
- Possession proceedings
- Conversion of Church of England schools to Academy status for both single Academies and Multi-Academy Trusts (including company and property law issues);
- Church of England schools property issues (including leases, reverters and land registration)
- Registration of charities, Charitable Incorporated Organisations and charitable companies with the Charity Commission
- Charity mergers
- Advising charities on property use and management
Other Ecclesiastical Property
- Sharing Agreements under the Sharing of Church Buildings Act 1969
- Parochial Church Council constitutional issues and appointment of churchwardens
- Consecration and other matters relating to consecrated land (including Reports on Title, sale of churchyards, easements over churchyards, licences of church buildings/churchyard under the Faculty Jurisdiction, and acquisition of land for churchyard extensions)
- Preparation of Wills
- Registration/preparation of Enduring/Lasting Powers of Attorney
- Application for probate and administration of estates, including for high net worth individuals
- Ecclesiastical Law Society
- Ecclesiastical Law Association
- Bucks, Berks & Oxon Law Society
In 2013, Darren also acted as Apparitor-General both at the Confirmation of Election and the Inauguration of Justin Welby as Archbishop of Canterbury.
2014 to present: Solicitor, Winckworth Sherwood
2011 to 2014: Trainee Solicitor, Winckworth Sherwood
2009 to 2011: Legal Assistant, Winckworth Sherwood