Charis acts for developers, contractors, sub-contractors, registered providers and local authorities principally on contentious constructions matters.
She also specialises in all aspect of building and fire safety issues in existing buildings, and for ongoing and planned projects.
Charis has extensive experience of dispute management; she is a volunteer community mediator and was appointed as an executive director of Lambeth Mediation Services in 2015.
Prior to joining Winckworth Sherwood LLP, Charis was part of the global construction insurance team at DAC Beachcroft LLP.
During her time at DAC Beachcroft LLP, Charis was seconded to Singapore and worked on a number of cross border contentious and non-contentious matters.
- Appointed to act for several registered providers to advise and act for their Building Safety Teams, including pursuing claims against insurance and construction parties, and advising on funding agreements and remedial work contracts.
- Acting for developer in successful defence of defects / delay based damages adjudication.
- Acting for sub-contractor in relation to successful settlement of claim regarding omission of works.
- Advising developer and registered provider on termination of construction contract following contractor default and later insolvency
- Acting for registered provider in successful recovery of sums guaranteed by a parent company via Technology & Construction Court claim.
- Acting for Construction All Risk insurers in relation to dispute and appeal relating to double insurance (European Group Ltd v Chartis Insurance UK Ltd  EWCA Civ 224)
- Acting for contractor and its public liability insurer in respect of £20m multi-party dispute, litigated in the Technology & Construction Court. Dispute concerned allegedly defective underpinning works and associated financial losses
- Law Society of England and Wales
- Society of Construction Lawyers
- French, basic
- Danish, basic
2021 to date: Partner, Winckworth Sherwood
2015 to 2021: Senior Associate, Winckworth Sherwood
2008 to 2015: Solicitor, DAC Beachcroft LLP
2007 to 2008: Paralegal, Ross & Co