Subject access requests are becoming ever more common place when schools are dealing with processes including parent complaints, pupil exclusions, staff disciplinaries and Employment Tribunal proceedings.
This webinar, hosted in November 2020 and the first in our GDPR mini-series, uses fictional characters and case studies throughout to bring the issues to life and address the key points that schools and academies need to consider if you receive a subject access request including:
- How to identify a subject access request
- How to respond and the timescales for responding
- The difference between a subject access request and a Freedom of Information Act request
- How to search for the personal data requested
- The common exemptions that apply in a school context
- How to deal with subject access requests in the context of staff disciplinaries and Employment Tribunal claims.
Our case studies also give examples of how schools can take a holistic approach to dealing with subject access requests when there is an overlap with other school procedures, such as pupil exclusion or the HR process.
This session is aimed at Data Protection Officers and anyone working in a school or academy trust who has responsibility for identifying and responding to subject access requests including headteachers, deputy headteachers, school business managers, chief executive officers, chief operating officers, governors and trustees.
If you would like a copy of the slides or have any queries regarding GDPR or any other schools matter please contact the School Support team on firstname.lastname@example.org or you can find out more about the School Support Service in this brochure.