Robin advises on direct and indirect tax issues on a broad range of business matters, principally relating to corporate transactions and on real estate matters. In particular, Robin has developed an expertise in the design and implementation of tax efficient real estate structures that cater for both property investment and development opportunities in the UK and overseas. Robin also has considerable experience in advising on the formation and running of investment fund structures (UK and offshore) and fund management arrangements with a proficiency in planning for investors and key management.
Robin is a contributor to Tolley’s Property Taxation annual book and has contributed to Sweet & Maxwell’s “Taxation of Companies and Company Reconstructions”. Robin lectured on the “Taxation of UK Businesses Enterprises” LLM module at King’s College, University of London.
- Advising Barratt London on various joint-venture projects, for example, on the partnership arrangements and property tax aspects relating to the Fulham Wharf and Enderby Wharf sites.
- Advising Redrow on various property development and joint venture projects.
- Advising Mount Anvil on various property development projects.
- Advising a leading US investment fund and a UK family office on their joint establishment of a UK ‘build to rent’ business.
- Advising the London Diocesan Fund in relation to various real estate portfolio projects.
- Advising a leading UK pension fund on the structure of their ‘build to rent’ portfolio.
- Advising Aviva Investors on its on-going acquisitions of UK ground rent portfolios, and on the establishment of suitable holding structures.
- Advising M&G Investments on their funding and asset holding structures related to investments in social housing.
- Advising a leading family office on the purchase of impaired property debt, together with a corporate reorganisation of the borrower entity (and its real estate assets).
- Advising a club of UK and international investors on the establishment of a Luxembourg holding structure for prime UK real estate rental assets.
- Advising a leading family office on various acquisitions.
- Advising a major London bus operator on its acquisition of a significant West London bus franchise business.
- Advising a leading family office on the disposal of a significant petrol retail business to Shell.
- Advising the ‘exiting’ shareholders and the management team on the sale of a leading artisanal baker business (and its associated operations) to a private equity house.
- Advising academics of a leading London University college on a tax efficient business spin out.
- Advising the overseas based investors on the design and implementation of an international holding structure and a suitable UK trading structure in respect of a well- known restaurant chain.
- Advising a US investment fund in relation to the structure of their UK operations.
- Advising a leading timber asset fund manager on the establishment of new fund structures (which cater for UK and overseas investors) and on management arrangements (including its carried interest structure).
- Advising a leading City institution on the establishment and running of a Cayman Island credit derivative fund, together with advice to UK investment manager entity.
Social Housing Providers
- Advising London & Quadrant in relation to various development projects.
- Providing detailed tax advice to Catalyst on the structuring of a collaborative arrangement with Swan in respect of the acquisition and development of a major former industrial site at Waltham Forest.
- Providing detailed tax advice to L&Q on the structuring of a joint-venture project with Countryside Home in respect of the acquisition and development of a major site at Beam Park, Dagenham.
- Providing detailed tax advice to Clarion on the acquisition of a corporate structure for the purposes of a development project at Green Lanes, Haringey.
Law Society of England and Wales
2014 to present: Partner, Winckworth Sherwood
2011 to 2014: Head of Corporate Tax, Teacher Stern
2002 to 2011: Head of Corporate Tax, Wedlake Bell
1999 to 2002: Solicitor, Squire Sanders
1994 to 1999: Trainee and then Solicitor, Allen & Overy (including placement at PwC)