Matthew acts for a range of Diocesan Boards of Finance, Parochial Church Councils and ecclesiastical charities on trust, governance, property and ecclesiastical law issues. He has particular expertise in the fields of chancel repair liability and telecommunications installations within church buildings.
He was appointed Registrar and Bishop’s Legal Secretary of the Diocese of Chichester in 2013 and has held the same post in the Diocese of St Albans since September 2015.
Matthew also holds a Masters’ degree in Roman Catholic Canon Law from the University of London. He is a contributing author to the Fourth Edition of the textbook Ecclesiastical Law (OUP, 2018).
- Setting up corporate vehicles for the establishment of Mission Communities under the ‘Bishop’s Mission Order’ provisions of the Pastoral Measure 2011
- Advising Parochial Church Councils on a variety of contentious Faculty proceedings, including the sale of an iconic painting and installation of telecommunications equipment
- Acting in the purchase of the first permanent church building for a national Roman Catholic organisation
- Securing a Pastoral Scheme from the Church Commissioners for the disapplication of the Disused Burial Grounds Act 1884, which unlocked a multi-million pound development on local authority land
- Advising on a multi-party, multi-million pound, lottery-funded redevelopment of an iconic Grade I listed building to create a local heritage centre on the curtilage of a parish church
- Acting for a Guild Church Council in establishing a long-term partnership with a City of London livery company
Law Society of England & Wales
2010 to present: Solicitor, Winckworth Sherwood
2008 - 2010: Trainee Solicitor, Winckworth Sherwood