James Gribbin is a New Zealand qualified barrister and solicitor.
Before joining Winckworth Sherwood James practised as a solicitor at New Zealand private client law firm, Cone Marshall Limited, in Auckland. He has worked on a number of private client areas, including trust law, international and domestic tax law, and asset and estate planning.
James also has a passion for pro-bono legal services and in 2019 spent 3 months volunteering for Lawyers Without Borders in Nairobi, Kenya on projects covering counter-human trafficking and wildlife crimes.
- Legal opinion advising on the tax implications arising from the migration of a New Zealand testamentary trust, with assets in excess of US$10m, from New Zealand to the USA.
- Restructuring of a HNW client’s structure from Europe to the USA with assets in several jurisdictions and valued in excess of US$400m.
- Prepared submissions of New Zealand’s Trusts Bill; Remedial Tax Matters Bill; and Beneficial Ownership Register Discussion Paper.
- Updated the New Zealand chapter of the sixth and seventh editions of the Private Wealth and Private Client Law Review.
- Co-authored an article on the Trusts Bill featured in STEP’s international news digest and an article on the Honoris judgment published in STEP’s July 2019 journal.
- Carried out investigative meetings with Kenyan government departments, INTERPOL, and international government aid programmes concerning gaps in the nation’s prosecution of human trafficking offences.
October 2019 to Present: Solicitor, Winckworth Sherwood
July 2019 to September 2019: Volunteer Lawyer at Lawyers Without Borders
January 2017 to June 2019: Solicitor at Cone Marshall Ltd
Wednesday 29th January 2020 | Registration & refreshments: 6.00pm | Start: 6.30pm | Finish: 7.30pm
New Year, New You?
This event will give you the chance to ask all those burning questions about how to successfully “adult” in both your work and home life on topics including employment, personal assets and getting married. “I’m getting married for the first …
Winckworth Sherwood, Minerva House, 5 Montague Close. London SE1 9BB