James specialises in corporate M&A transactions and structuring, and for FSMA and other regulated businesses and investment funds. James advises on tax efficient on-shore and off-shore funds as well as the best way to navigate regulations as they apply to UK investors and off-shore investors alike.
As part of the firm’s specialist property funds expertise, James advises funds, borrowers and lenders on the structure of their capital markets bond programmes including listed bond programmes and private placements for real estate alternative investments.
James is a well-regarded speaker on the establishment of joint ventures and international corporate agreements, having regularly lectured to industry through EuroMoney, Movers & Shakers, CIH, MIPIM and Place North West and regularly advises on all aspects of Build to Rent.
Some examples of James’ work include advising:
- Advising Imperial Capital LLP, on the establishment of its European office including its European structure, regulatory compliance and employment issues. This involved liaison with other advisors to develop a cross-border Brexit solution for this growing practice.
- Advising M&G Investments on its large fund structure for debt investment to housing developers in the UK profit and non-profit housing sector.
- Advising Aviva Investors REaLM Funds on its asset backed investments and corporate acquisitions by that fund.
- Galliard on the establishment of an open-ended PCC fund in Guernsey for international investors.
- Barclays Global Investors on the trade sale and winding-up of the assets of the LSE listed Jersey registered BGI Endowment Fund III Limited.
James’ work also includes advising the following clients:
- M&G Investments
- Aviva Investors
- Imperial Capital, LLC
- L&Q Housing
- Vivid Housing
- B3 Living
- Law Society of England & Wales
2010 to present: Partner, Winckworth Sherwood
2008 to 2010: Partner, Wedlake Bell
2001 to 2008: Managing Solicitor, Simmons & Simmons