Hazel specialises in infrastructure planning work, particularly the authorisation of railway, tram and harbour schemes. This includes drafting the legislation and advising on all aspects including consultation, planning and compulsory purchase and compensation. A particular focus of Hazel’s work is advising on Environmental Impact Assessment and Habitats Directive issues for major projects.
She negotiates undertakings, agreements and protective provisions to address objector concerns and has also acted for a number of statutory undertakers in opposition to infrastructure schemes.
Hazel has considerable experience in managing client interests at public inquiries and hearings for contested schemes and regularly advises on the scope and content of related material. She also drafts harbour byelaws.
- Advising on schemes forming part of Network Rail’s Northern Hub programme including Ordsall Chord and Manchester Piccadilly and Oxford Road Capacity Scheme TW Orders
- HS2 hybrid Bill, including advising on consultation, environmental impact assessment and Habitats related issues
- Crossrail Act 2008, including advising on environmental statements, negotiating agreements on and giving general advice in promotion of the Act, and more recently, its implementation
- Advising on all aspects of the promotion of and inquiry and objections management for the proposed Croxley Rail Link Order (under the Transport and Works Act 1992)
- Network Rail (Ipswich Chord) Order 2012 (under the Planning Act 2008)
Port of London Authority Byelaws and Harbour Revision Orders
- Hazel has also acted for Environment Agency, British Waterways, Royal Mail and National Grid and property interests in objecting to a number of proposed infrastructure schemes
- Law Society of England and Wales
- UKELA and NIPA
2013 to present: Partner, Winckworth Sherwood
2000 to 2013: Assistant Solicitor, Winckworth Sherwood
1998 to 2000: Trainee Solicitor, Winckworth Sherwood
1995 to 1996: Conference Manager, Institution of Mining and Metallurgy
1988 to 1995: Conference Executive, Institution of Mechanical Engineers
‘Hazel Anderson is always sure footed and utterly reliable in her advice, an excellent environmental lawyer.’
Legal 500 2022
Hazel is noted for her “calmness in situations of crisis and excellent manners.”
Legal 500, 2017
“Excellent at environmental aspects and never leaves anything unexamined”
“Really good to work with”